Instant Nostalgia

Half bad ass, half old lady, 100 percent so good

Monday, July 24, 2006

In defense of TV

I've never made a secret of the fact that I am hopelessly obsessed with television. When confronted with my affinity for TV, I usually defend myself by writing the habit off as a guilty pleasure. I'm well aware of the fact that not only do I watch a lot -- but I usually watch what most people consider to be the bottom of the barrel: MTV reality shows, cheesy sitcoms and the like.

My newest roommate, in joining my other roommates and I for an episode of "My Fair Brady," remarked within the first 45 seconds that "I can feel myself losing brain cells." Her reaction is absolutely standard, and even understandable, to a degree.

But the more I think about it, the more I believe that TV isn't just a guilty pleasure -- it's as viable an area to posess knowledge in as any. Does knowing about this season's "Real World" cast mean that I somehow know less about Zachary Taylor's presidency, comprehensive immigration reform or the Civil Rights Movement? Not so much. Having knowledge about anything -- even pop culture -- can only help you.

Last week, while editing a column for work, I caught a misspelling in the name of hip-hop artist Juelz Santana. I first became familiar with the artist after watching an episode of MTV's oft-criticized "My Super Sweet 16." No other editor in the office caught the error.

I've encountered many a poorly written, horribly argued article or commentary on what people consider "real issues," while some Web sites focusing particularly on TV and pop culture, such as Defamer and EW's PopWatch, are masterfully articulated.

So the next time you sneer at someone's penchant for watching "Tiara Girls" or "The Hills," just consider that while certain kinds of knowledge might be less celebrated, they're never less valuable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Website Counter