Instant Nostalgia

Half bad ass, half old lady, 100 percent so good

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

None of you should be from Rolling Stone


So, being the addict that I am, I of course caught the premiere episode of MTV's new show, "I'm From Rolling Stone," in which young writers square off to become a contributing editor at the famed music mag. But aside from my unabashed love for all things MTV puts out, I actually have more than one reason to be interested in this one: Not only did I apply for this internship (I received an e-mail encouraging me to apply after I'd sent in my resume, but I ran the other direction when the recruiter mentioned it would also be filmed as a reality show), but also, one of the contestants who did make it onto the show was one of my writers at the Daily Trojan, when I was Lifestyle Editor. He also happens to be from Eugene, Oregon, so we share that connection as well.

Despite the fact that I think pretty highly of Colin as a writer, the first episode was a disaster. As a young journalist in the beginning of my career, I can't imagine anything more frustrating than watching these kids, one by one, make absolute idiots of themselves while being handed this unimaginable opportunity on a silver platter.

When the editor of Rolling Stone calls Khristine, a wannabe Bay Area hip-hopper (those fake gold teeth inserts are the definition of professional attire, girl), she answers his invitation to work with a giggly "for reals?"

Similarly, juvenile hall alumni Richard tells the editor that he's re-thought the job, and it's not really for him, only to tell him, after a long, awkward pause, that he was joking.

None of these are as bad as Peter, who seems to have absolutely no writing experience under his belt, who is too busy getting drunk to even answer the editor's repeated calls. When he turns in his first assignment, he flat-out admits to being drunk when he wrote it.

I understand that all of this makes for instant entertainment. But to someone who got into a top-ranked journalism school, graduated at the top of her class, ran one of the country's best college newspapers, and STILL had trouble finding even an entry-level job, seeing these disasters running around with such a prestigious internship is, at best, a slap in the face.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Colin is from the DT. He's also from Oregon, just like us. Represent.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Website Counter