Instant Nostalgia

Half bad ass, half old lady, 100 percent so good

Monday, February 05, 2007

She's no Gwen



I am by no means the first one to point out that Fergie, the Black Eyed Peas spoiler-turned-solo artist, is at best a poor man's Gwen Stefani. Granted, Gwen Stefani isn't without her flaws (let me remind you of the horrendous first single from her new album, "Wind It Up"). But Gwen has always been an original -- in terms of style and sound. I get that they have similarities -- both front otherwise all-male bands -- but nowhere was I more appalled at Fergie's blatant ripping-off-Gwen than when I stopped to listen to the lyrics of her latest single, "Glamorous."

"Glamorous" is the third single off Fergie's first solo album. The third single off Gwen Stefani's first solo album? The similarly named "Luxurious." Take a look at the lyrics:

Gwen: "Champagne kisses, hold me in your lap of luxury/ I only want to fly first class desires, you're my limousine"
Fergie: "We flyin' first class, up in the sky/ poppin' champagne, livin' the life/ in the fast lane"

Gwen: "Diamond in the rough is lookin' so sparkly"
Fergie: "Wear them gold and diamond rings"

OK, OK, so they're not the first two artists to sing about the finer things in life, but again: the names of the songs are virtually the same, both are the third singles off the ladies' first solo albums and both say almost EXACTLY the same thing -- within about a year of each other. If I were Gwen, I'd tell Fergie she has some explaining to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Website Counter